Sunday, April 19, 2009

The first blog...starting over

Today, with the help of my online friend, Ronni Bennett of Time Goes By, I begin a new blogging life. On income tax day I was laid off of work, one of 100 good people who tried their best to help a company be the best it could be. Unfortunately, none of us could predict what the last 8 years of the Bush administration would create: a horrific economy. Many companies, such as the one I worked for, were forced to lay off good people. And, if the truth be told, I knew it was coming.

Last December/January, there was a restructuring of the organization advertising department. I never really considered myself an advertiser but a marketer, a strategic thinker and doer, and communications. I was no longer leading an exceptional team of professionals. Instead I was to report to the head of brand management. Part of me was very excited at the prospect of doing what I was hired to do initially. Part of me knew this was the beginning of the end. How did I know? Easy, I worked in health care marketing, an aspect not easily accepted or understood by most. For years our team struggled with gaining internal acceptance of what our health programs were or did to promote the lifestyle of active, independent older adults. Perhaps it was my failure. Perhaps it was others' inability to see health as something more then doctors, or any medical intervention. Whatever the issue, the point was from this point on, I felt as though I could not make an impact on what I believed was the single most important factor that differentiated this company from other wanna be companies.


This was the 3rd layoff of 2009 for this organization. This one was quieter, though the rumors were alive and well. As I reflect now, I wonder what the leadership was thinking? surely they must have known employees heard the rumblings. Then it came. I got called to come in since I was to be at a conference. Though I had expected this, when I got the call, I really was stunned. I made it easy for my boss and others. After all the bottom line is that the company has to do what needs to be done to survive in this economy as it serves many lives and does a damn good job of serving others. I will pray for them and my coworkers.

What I miss the most is the people with whom I worked. I know each of us has our own lives and keeping in touch will be difficult for some. For me, I begin a new at an interesting point in my life. I had thought I would retire in at least 3 years so I could get the maximum benefit from Social Security since my 401K is so down from what it was. But I got a small severance and some accrued vacation time. And there is always unemployment! Though it will be difficult, I have decided to take some time for me and think things over. You know the old saying: I don't know what I want to be when I grow up? I think this is true at any age. Maybe there is a pot of gold at the end of this rainbow.



Over the next few blogs, I will write of my experiences, my plan, and my outlook. I title the blog the tempered optimist because that is who I am. I like to think that I look at things from the best side, not the worst; yet I am tempered by life's experiences so that I do not always see only the rosy side of life. I choose to be realistic but with a positive twist. Does that make sense? Who knows? But this is the start of a new journey. I hope you will contribute thoughts, suggestions, and opinions along the way.

4 comments:

  1. Welcome, NancyB to the blogosphere. Again. In a new place, but still among the elderbloggers.

    I am so sorry about your layoff. And yes, "tempered optimist" makes perfect sense to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your writing, Nancy. Thanks for being all honest, all the time. It's so hard to see, and accept, the writing on the wall...but you always do. I will miss being on "your side." If you keep writing, I'll keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to hearing about your adventures! Can't wait for the next installment, keep it coming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes please write about the T&T (trials and tribulations) and your perspectives on these experiences ... very interesting and thanks!

    ReplyDelete