Monday, April 27, 2009

Life and Death

It was a beautiful weekend in Baltimore. The sun was shining. We had a great weekend. I got to see all my grandchildren because I also went to Hanover PA to visit my son, daughter in law and my granddaughter, Cassidy. She just turned 1 yr old and is walking while holding on. Playing, laughing and a real joy.

Then came back to my daughter's with her 2 bundles of joy. Their dog Jake is dying a very slow death. That is the worst part of the weekend.

It's hard to let go if a dog that has been part of the family for over 17 years. But he can't walk anymore, can't hear, can't eat or drink and is having respiratory problems. Today we are taking him to the vet to help him by letting him go. Very sad. My daughter is struggling with the decision but the dog has no life and is in pain and moans constantly.

I realized that letting go for the dog is like letting go of a portion of one's life. Being laid off is like a death of sorts also. I don't mean to be dramatic but it is letting go of a significant portion of one's life; a profession by which one is known to a certain group of people. For me, it's something that has defined a portion of my life.

Yet, I know that by giving the dog an end, we bring him peace and solitude. We need to let go and move on. Isn't that true of all aspects of life and living?

And so, we all must move on....even me.

3 comments:

  1. You're absolutely right about being laid off feeling like a death. It is. And at some point you want to shout "Enough!" and be able to start anew ... like spring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand the situation so well. About 18 years ago I had to make the same decision with my cat. I can be fairly precise because the pair who replaced him are now going on 18 this year. I cried all the while assuring the vet that it was indeed time to give him peace. And the comparison to being laid off isn't far off the mark. I came to realize with something of a shock most of my life revolved around my jobs and I had almost no social life outside of work. I really must do something about that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't agree with you more. Grief comes with jobs lost just as honestly as it comes with pets lost and people lost.

    I lost my dog of 14 years quite some time ago, and we experienced significant sadness. She was absolutely a part of the family. I still miss her every day. I am so sorry for your daughter's family's loss. Pets are a wonderful gift in our lives and it is hard to part with them. I think the only way to cope is to allow the grief to come and then to work through it. Ah....

    Then, considering grief from a work perspective, I see that experience as true as well. I work for Wachovia, that is now Wells Fargo. When, in September, my company was gone in a weekend, I spent many weeks in the middle of emotions that I later identified as grief.

    Though I realize that loss is part of life, even now after all these years I don't pretend to understand it.

    Best thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete