Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Reality is setting in....getting laid off, new start

Here's what strikes me as I head into the end of the first week of being laid off: there aren't as many emails or anything work related to do. Too damn quiet. Except, that is, for my 2 grandchildren. I am staying at my daughter's since she just delivered a new baby girl, a real sweetie. And, her big sister, 2 plus yrs old and a complete singer, dancer and actress. She is a real comedienne. They, and my children, fill the days with complete joy. But I have certain things I must take care of.....all work or unemployment related.

So all toll I have 9 weeks of severance and accrued vacation to come. Have not started looking for work yet, will leave that for next week. Now, its about looking at expenses and starting to think about the future.

Today, I switched my phone and Internet to Comcast, the triple deal special though I already have them for my cable provider. Fios is in my area and is really giving Comcast a run for their money. I used that in my negotiation with Comcast. I asked them what they were going to do to keep me as a customer and it worked. They beat Fios. Best part: I am saving $70 per month for the first 6 months and $50 per month thereafter. Just basic cable, no frills. But I love my cable shows: HGTV, Food Network, Project Runway is coming back on Lifetime...gotta have my cable.

But for those of us in the unemployment with no choice mode, rule number 1 should be negotiate to get the best deals and look at what you absolutely must have/keep. It's a buyer's market and no one should be afraid to try to get the best deal possible.

Before LO (layoff), I had already made changes in the house to cut costs: energy efficient windows, those funny looking light bulbs, unplugging everything that is not in use as energy is still drained even if you don't use an appliance and am happy to report that I have saved over $100 per month!

But I also have to think about income. So I called social security and surprise of surprises, they were wonderful! They were easy to talk to, helpful and fast. Who knew??? What I learned was a little disappointing. I am not really of retirement age (66 for women) though I turn 65 at the end of May. Therefore, I can collect social security with restrictions on income. I will only be able to earn $1000 per month. How do they expect people to live on that? They do it to defer the age people will sign up for these benefits. I signed up anyway because I can suspend my benefits at anytime. I wonder if winning the mega millions counts? No, I have not won but did buy a ticket for tonight.

COBRA: its not bad. That is if you are not turning 65. If you are 65 and have no health insurance through work and do not get Medicare, you are penalized when you do sign up for Medicare. COBRA is not considered health insurance through work so even though it would cost me less to do COBRA then Medicare plus a Medi-Gap program, if I don't sign up for Medicare now, the penalty is hefty when I do sign up. So I signed up. But I can use COBRA till my Medicare kicks in. My health insurance is paid till the end of April so guess what I did? I made all my medical appointments for next week. HA! At least I can get everything I need done before any other insurance kicks in. Not all doctors accept Medicare for payment. My own doctor does not. Not fun. More on this in upcoming blog.

Not seeing the people you worked with is really tough. Today I had lunch with 2 dear friends I made at work and that really lifted my spirits.

I find myself going through periods of sadness and anger. And as one who had the "personification of procrastination" written under her name in the college yearbook, I always looked for ways to put off what I didn't care to do, until tomorrow (ah, Scarlett O'Hara). Since the LO, I struggle to deal with the issues at hand even more so. Particularly the job market and income. I know the job market is not good; and at my age, its a disaster. That's when the anger sets in. A 401K that sucks and the thought that I would work for 3 more years at the company that set me free is almost too much to think about.

And, I think about me and how I really never felt quite comfortable that I would make it to retirement at this company. You know, I actually had 2 cell phones: 1 was the company cell and 1 was my personal cell. I never merged them. Interesting huh? I guess rule number two is listen to your gut. Your instincts are always better guides to what you should or should not do.

My former company did provide outplacement service and next Thursday and Friday I will be there. That's a good service to have where they look at your resume and help you update it; work on cover letters, review the job market and interviewing. I am looking forward to it and will be happy to share what I learn here. Hopefully, I will find some motivation there also since that is what is missing the most right now.

I guess this blog is not the most optimistic, tempered or not but it will get better....it will...maybe tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. I am right there with you. It sucks doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm saving about 60 bucks since I switched to Fios. Comcast just kept going up and up. Love your LO abbreviation. A colleague and I were just reminiscing today: Remember what it was like B.L.O. (before lay offs)? Things were so much different! People used to travel! The team was twice as big!
    I also appreciate your pay attention to your gut comment. I totally agree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your honesty in navigating the rough waters of COBRA and SS. Sharing your experiences helps the rest of us understand a little better what you're going through.

    ReplyDelete