Saturday, May 2, 2009

The dislocated, outplacement part 2: what I learned

The second outplacement session was also very productive. We learned more about resumes; creating concise brochures to reflect your skills and accomplishment; and talking points you need to have to back up those points. CAR: the talking points: C, the challenge; A, the accomplishment; R: the results.

We learned about more places online to find jobs, recruiters, and more. But the most effective way to find a job is to network. I will tell you more about this next week.

What I really learned is that a great bunch of people, talented, skilled, loyal, smart, funny, kind, and more, are out there looking for jobs. Many if not most of them, are in their forties, fifties, and yes sixties. Too many to equal the number of available jobs; the challenge for most of us will be the white elephant in the interview room: our age. This is a blog in and of itself.

This weekend is filled with wedding, family and rain. So much to say; so little time....more to come...stay tuned.

3 comments:

  1. Ok, so I really like this CAR idea. I can see how this could be a really useful way to describe skills and capabilities. I am also super interested to hear about the networking - I know that it is described as the best way to get an opportunity - I also know I am LOUSY at it. And I want to hear more about the age issue. Maybe we all need to start a business of our own. So there.

    Have a WONDERFUL WEDDING AND FAMILY WEEKEND Nancy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Appreciate your information and insight for those of us who are "buffing up" their resumes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this article w/10 tips for seniors looking for work: http://www.forbes.com/2009/04/29/older-workers-layoffs-personal-finance-retirement-job-hunting-tips.html

    You can use tons of techniques and outlines to sell yourself, but never forget to follow your instincts and to obey your passions. :D

    ReplyDelete