Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Conference Call with Senator Reid Team; Health Care Reform

Ronni Bennett of TimeGoesBy blog organized a bloggers outreach on Health Care Reform that motivated me to blog, ad nauseum to some, about my thoughts on this very important matter. As a result of that, Ronni  spoke with Senator Reid's team yesterday and then today 4 other bloggers, myself included, we invited to speak this morning with a team from Senator Reid's office, health policy people and staff, related to Senator Baucas plan. Ronni will be blogging on more specifics on the Medicare aspects of reform; the actual process involved in getting this bill through, and more tomorrow at http://www.timegoesby.net/. My post is my view point on the general topic of getting health care reform bill passed. Some facts, a lot of opinion, and pure emotion.

I spent most of last night and this morning reading Senator Baucas plan that the team graciously supplied to all of us on the call. I am now officially brain dead. This bill is, in my opinion, awful. There is NO public option plan. It is a lesson in how politicians keep their jobs and give buraucracy a lousy name.

What I learned from the call that is positive:

Medicare will cover prevention testing free to subscribers

Medicare will cover free annual check ups(instead of just ONE when you sign up)

If you are in the donut hole on Medicare, you will get a 50% reduction discount on brand name drugs but get credit of 100% toward coming out of the donut hole

There will be a .5% increase in reimbursement to doctors and NOT the 21% reduction. This will keep doctors on the roll of providing medical care for seniors.

What is negative:

no public option plan

574 ammendments submitted as of yesterday

still no coverage of bone density scans as prevention for osteoporosis which has increased health care costs related to this disease to a whopping $19 billion!

No agreement between Repubs and Dems on bills and ammendments

What is hopeful:

House bill does have public option plan

HELP has public option plan (HELP is the anacronym for the Senate's Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Finance)

The call: the staff were very nice, helpful and listened to our concerns and explained the process.  For me, someone who has been in health care in one way or another for more years than I care to count, I do not understand why Congress continues to make something so simple, so difficult.

My question: Medicare is in place. It is not perfect but provides good health care coverage for over 40 million seniors. You do pay a premium for Medicare that is managable to most. If you cannot afford it, and are eligible for Medicaid, Medicaid will pay for Medicare. This is called dual eligibility.

Medicare has an infrastucture in place. True it has some bureacracy but what health insurer doesn't? So, very simply, why  not make Medicare the PUBLIC OPTION plan for the uninsured? tada! Simple. Easy, Fast.

Frustrating...some of congressional staff/members actually suggested this but its not going anywhere. Don't ask me why.

The good: Congress is getting calls, emails, phone calls on Health care reform. So if you have a view point, make it known. Or suffer the consequences of non action.

I know the President's bill and others make certain conditions a necessity in changing the managed care insurers but they forgot to eliminate the term MCO love: Medical necessity which is used to deny coverage for "anything" the plan deems too expensive.

I loved the staff today who were very helpful and honest. More than that, they were willing to listen. Tell everyone you know to call, email, blog about health care reform. Congress is listening. And that is the best news I can offer.

Frankly, I am drained from frustration related to what I perceive as the mind boggling reticence on the part of Congress to make a simple, easy to use health care system possible. Health care coverage is a liberty. I thought liberty for all was part of our US Consitution. Remember when Patrick Henry  said: "give me liberty or give me death"? It is evident today that he was also including health care coverage.....pun intended.

More to come.....

No comments:

Post a Comment