Thursday, June 18, 2009

Ain't Dead Yet: Joining the Voices for Freedom

When I was in college, I was very involved in the civil rights movement. I was at University of Maryland when the then Governor of Alabama, George Wallace came to speak. I was one of the hundreds who marched in a candlelight service for freedom and support of the Bill of Rights for all.

I marched in Washington during the first Bush administration for women's' rights and their right to decide their destiny in Roe vs. Wade.

Some people referred to us as ultra liberals. I refuse to be labeled anything more than a human being who cares for people. Along the way, I stopped marching and became a complacent American citizen though became more active again during the last election; not marching, but donating and ultimately voting. I am happy to say I think I have voted in all elections since the time I could vote.

I have been watching the elections in Tehran. I am on Twitter.com/nkbe. I cannot believe the use of Twitter in a way no one could imagine. It is the only way for Iranians to show/talk about the election there.

The scenes of violence as people struggle for their freedom and right to choose is unbelievably compelling to watch. For that reason, I joined a site that would add my picture from Twitter to a green wall of freedom for Iranians. To find out more, visit http://www.greenthumbnails.com/.

Support of freedom, people to people, not government telling other governments what to do, is important. It shows our support of our fellow citizens of this earth. I hope you will join me.

You see, by my writing this, and your reading this, is the purest form of our freedom. In Tehran, the government is trying to block the Internet...Iranian citizens are using Twitter to get the word out...so, here's to freedom, yours, mine, and theirs.

2 comments:

  1. I throught twitter was such a throw-away technology, but this Iranian uprising has proven me very wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tabor, you and me both regarding Twitter. I just played with it. Now, I take it seriously. It is also being used in the Free Laura and Eula campaign.

    ReplyDelete