Saturday, June 6, 2009

Rain, rain go away....it stimulates a down mood

Today I am struggling...rain has stopped after 3 days but very cloudy and may rain again today. COBRA is finally activated and got my meds. Keep applying for the minimal jobs in the marketplace. Finally got my unemployment check after the debacle with my prior company telling unemployment I was a voluntary quit!

The good: my kids and grandchild came for dinner last night and I used the cilantro from my "recession garden". I got to cook a full dinner without fatigue from working all day.

The good: I reserved the domain forestoffools.com to hopefully create a fun site where people can plant virtual trees for the fools they know. And will offer this free and sell advertising. Who knows?

The good: have health insurance finally.

The good: everyone in family is healthy this week.

The good: I have wonderful friends and colleagues who call me, see me, try to find me jobs.

The bad news: I am struggling today with feelings of uncertainty and sadness. My mood matches the weather and I know that is not unusual for lots of folks. I read an article in USA today yesterday about how seniors are the ones who are struggling the most with foreclosures. Scary. At a time when life should be great, the plans for retirement are not what was supposed to be. And that is very scary. Some people believe that older folks are just that: "they had their time". I wonder how many people realize that people work all their lives and save, plan for a time when they can enjoy life but still contribute and be part of life. The mockery that is prevalent in this society about growing older stinks.

For me, I struggle with fear and uncertainty...but then, hopefully, the sun will come up tomorrow and things will be better....ah, maybe I should sing that song....the good news: no one can hear me!

4 comments:

  1. I love the notion of a forest of fools web site. I can think of several fools I would love to plant. We have also had several gray days. The last two were nice and sunny even if they were unseasonably cool. My mood is just beginning to pick up. I can sympathize with the minimal job listings. Last week I think I saw 7 of which 5 were for medical doctors in various specialties and one for a nurse. I have no qualifications for anything in the medical field and less interest. Oh, well. My container garden (the only way to have a garden on cement) is going really well. I might just have peppers and tomatoes by first week in July. We are salivating just thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. do not let fear rule your day. You will weather this as you have other challenges and you will get over it. As I posted on my other blog, count your blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sunny thoughts your way!!

    You know the old line - you can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you'll find that you get what you need - oh Yeah Baby!

    I am sure you will get both what you need and what you want, and another good is that you are balanced enough to see the good, even through all this rain.

    And Nancy, I LOVE the Forest Of Fools idea. Love Love Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mood goes down...then it goes up again, and then it goes...well, you get the picture. A roller-coaster is a good metaphor for emotional stability under long-term stressful transitions.

    So, take a step back. Look at the right things you are doing: Securing your benefits, applying for jobs, making the most of home-cooked meals, planning a new web site. Keep doing them.

    The up mood will be back. So will the down. Your task is keep making that structure ("My Real Life") to buoy you forward, regardless.

    Been there. Am still there.

    ReplyDelete