Wednesday, June 3, 2009

#COBRA and Pink Slips Revisited. Are you sick of this yet?

Here it is June 3rd and no COBRA. I am sick of it, pun intended. I called the company last night purposely to see if it would make a difference if I called at night...would someone review calls in the morning? Would I be the first call? NO . But I found their website and found an email so sent a scathing email to them reviewing for the thousandth time what has occurred or not occurred. Lo and behold, I got a call from them at 9:30 AM.

Guess what? They have NOT even processed my COBRA yet. 7 weeks and not processed and they are the ones that turned off my health insurance and you are not going to believe it. They told me I need to pay upfront. Did they send me a bill? An amount? A letter? NO. Of course once they heard I was severenced and it was to be deducted from my check they said oh ok.....but they had no record from my prior company that I was severenced. Sounds like unemployment all over again. They told unemployment I was a voluntary quit.

This has been such a disaster. I left with sadness and felt badly for my company (I still do and still worry about my colleagues). But the bad taste in my mouth is really sour.

I told them they had till the end of today to activate my card as I need my medicine. I sent yet another email to HR to ask them to please get this done today.

Ah, the forest of fools is growing by leaps and bounds....more to come. Do you have horror stories about COBRA?

4 comments:

  1. UPDATE: at 2:58 PM today, my old health insurance card was reactivated. Shame I had to resort to being pushy but it worked. That in and of itself makes a statement, a sad one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My individual health insurance just jumped from $517 a month to $601--yikes! It's one of the "Blue Crosses" and I hope to regress to a cheaper and less comprehensive plan but really--who can afford that, working or not?

    I expect all health insurance companies to be absolute creeps from now til the end since if any health insurance reform at all is passed, the gravy train will derail.

    This is a monstrous system. When I go back over how it has affected my life, and that of countless others, over the last 30 years, I feel my head will explode.

    Then, of course, I'll have a "pre-existing condition" and no doubt be ineligible for insurance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From same company; same issues. I will now use same tactics. It is sad

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a MESS! I actually had a good story about COBRA - when my daughter was too old to be covered on my insurance, she went to COBRA to keep her coversage. It was easy peasy, no issues at ALL. Could it be related to the way the corporate HR processes everything?

    I am so glad you got your old card reactivated. I really hope this gets well and truly resolved. Good Grief.

    ReplyDelete